This berry cake is light, fresh, sweet and great for any occasion! This quick and easy cake takes under 1 hour total. Everything is made in one mixing bowl. Only a handful of pantry staple ingredients required. The berries add natural sweetness and freshness to this vanilla cake. It is perfectly sweet and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This berry cake is light and fresh.
- It takes only 10 minutes of prep time.
- All in all, this cake takes under an hour.
- The blueberries and raspberries add the best flavor.
- This cake is great any time of the year.
- It is especially great for Easter, Mother’s Day, family parties, July 4th, and back to school.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- No need for frosting! If you want, add a layer of frosting on top.
- No need for assembly or tricky layers.
- This recipe can be made with gluten free flour. In addition, it is naturally nut free.
- Check out this Brownie Cake or this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake for a chocolate favorite!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for berry cake. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Granulated sugar adds sweetness. I have not tried this recipe using a low carb or Keto sweetener.
Sour cream adds moisture. In addition, it adds the very slightest tangy flavor.
Melted butter also adds moisture. Feel free to use dairy free butter if needed.
Only one egg needed. Do not replace with a vegan egg replacement. For an eggless cake, try this Vegan Pound Cake.
Vanilla extract adds a tasty homemade flavor.
Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free flour can be used. Do not use almond flour, oat flour or another alternative flour.
Both baking powder and baking soda help leaven this cake. Overall, it does not rise much.
Add in a pinch of sea salt. If you only have salted butter, feel free to omit.
Fresh blueberries and raspberries add freshness and sweetness. In addition, they add a pop of flavor and color! If desired, use chopped strawberries or blackberries. I do not recommend using frozen berries or previously frozen berries. They contain too much water.
Lastly, sprinkle some sugar on top before baking.
Taste & Texture
This homemade berry cake tastes like vanilla cake with blueberries and raspberries. It is sweet without being overly sweet. Feel free to add some whipped cream or frosting on top.
The texture is soft, fluffy and moist. The berries add a pop of juice.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, add granulated sugar, sour cream and melted butter. Use an electric hand mixer to mix.
Then, add in egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine. Batter will be pretty thick.
Very gently fold in 1 ½ cups of the fresh berries. Be careful not to crush berries.
Transfer batter to the sprayed pie plate. Sprinkle the remaining berries and 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are lightly golden and toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow berry cake to fully cool before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free flour. Do not replace with another flour.
The cake batter is relatively thick.
Wash and completely pat dry the berries.
Be careful when adding in the berries. If the berries are crushed, they will create streaks in the cake. This still tastes great, but creates an interesting look.
To test if cake is done, insert toothpick into middle of cake. If it comes out with moist crumbs, remove from oven.
In addition, the edges of the cake will start to turn lightly golden.
Allow this cake to cool before slicing into.
How to Serve & Store
Serve berry cake once cooled.
Top with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or a chocolate drizzle. Try this Butter Pecan Ice Cream for the ultimate dessert!
This cake also pairs well with a berry compote.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freeze for 1 month if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically frozen berries add too much moisture to cake. I highly recommend using fresh berries.
Use gluten free flour to keep this recipe gluten free.
Yes! Vanilla, buttercream or cream cheese frosting would be delicious.
Sure! Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper. Make cake as written below. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
Use a 9 inch pie plate or 9 inch springform pan for this recipe.
Sure! Cupcakes will only need about 12 to 15 minutes in the oven.
Hand Mixer: This hand mixer is easy to use and conveniently sized. Great for baking cakes!
KitchenAid Stand Mixer: This heavy duty stand mixer is great for any baker.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are my favorite mixing bowls.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these glass measuring cups for ingredients.
9 Inch Pie Plate: This pie plate is perfect for this cake recipe.
9 Inch Springform Pan: If desired, use a springform pan.
You May Also Like
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Raspberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you make this homemade berry cake recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Berry Cake
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups flour, all purpose or gluten free flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1 ¾ cups fresh blueberries and raspberries
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar, to sprinkle
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heavily spray a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add granulated sugar, sour cream and melted butter. Use an electric hand mixer to mix.
- Then, add in egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Very gently fold in 1 ½ cups of the fresh berries. Try not to crush berries.
- Transfer batter to the sprayed pie plate. Sprinkle the remaining berries and 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are lightly golden and toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cake to fully cool before slicing and serving.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used. For these photos, I used gluten free flour.
- The cake batter will be pretty thick.
- Try to not crush the berries. Crushed berries will add streaks to the cake. This will still taste great but may look funky!
- To test doneness, insert toothpick into cake. If it comes out with only some moist crumbs, remove from oven.
- Allow cake to cool before slicing.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month if needed.
Love this easy berry cake? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
8 Comments on “Berry Cake”
Made this tonight and my kiddos and husband all loved it! I used a loaf pan since that’s all I have and baked it for about 53 min before it was done. The top was a bit brown, but it was still very tasty. My husband said it’s one of the best cakes/breads I’ve made. Ty for this simple and delicious recipe.
So glad to hear that, Stephanie! I bet it was delicious in a loaf pan. Yum!
Made this for a brunch and everyone raved about it. I’ll be making it again for Mother’s Day.
I love that idea, Lisa! So glad to hear that.
Fast and easy recipe perfect for berry season! Was just what I needed for the wild blueberries and raspberries that grow all over our property.
We loved this berry cake. Perfect with the simple ingredients and it was not heavy at all. I added a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Delish!
I added whipped cream on top of this beautiful berry cake, and it was a hit! The kids super love it. I’ll surely make this again!
Oh my goodness, this Berry Cake recipe is absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try it out for myself and share it with my friends and family. The thought of biting into a slice of this sweet, fruity cake makes my mouth water and my heart feel so happy.